Week 3: Ana Bekoach
Day 18: Line 4
- We implore you, by the great power of Your right hand, release the captive.
- Accept the prayer of Your people; strengthen us, purify us, Awesome One.
- Mighty One, we beseech You, guard as the apple of the eye those who seek Your Oneness.
- Bless them, cleanse them; bestow upon them forever Your merciful righteousness.
- Powerful, Holy One, in Your abounding goodness, guide Your congregation.
- Only and Exalted One, turn to Your people who are mindful of Your holiness.
- Accept our supplication and hear our cry, You Who knows secret thoughts.
Line 4 returns to the ‘column of mercy’ and with the petition to ‘bestow’ upon and ‘bless’ (increase) the people.
NETZACH – As discussed, this Sefirah is related to Moshe. When God first appeared to him, he asked by what name he should use to call the Infinite. God responded, “E’heye Asher E’heye,” which has been translated to “I will be as I will be.” The numerical value of the name E’heye is 21 (Aleph = 1, Hei = 5, Yud = 10, Hei = 5) The name E’heye is repeated twice, for a total gematria of 42.
INSIGHT ON 42
The 42-letter name was also associated with the rod of Moses – a ‘connection’ between heaven and earth as well as between groom and bride. (6×7=42).
Zohar 1:9a – “And in the Egyptian’s hand was a spear like a weaver’s beam” (I Chr. XI, 23). This alludes to the divine rod which was in Moses hand, and on which there was engraved the divine ineffable Name radiating in various combinations of letters. These same letters were in possession of Bezalel, who was called “weaver”, and his school, as it is written: “Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart… of the craftsman and the skilled workman, and the weaver, etc.” (Exod. XXXV, 35). So that rod had engraved on it the ineffable Name on every side, in forty-two various combinations, which were illumined in different colours. The rest of the verse is as he already explained. Happy is his portion! Come, dear friends, come and let us renew the preparations of the bride in this night. For everyone who keeps vigil with her in this night will be guarded above and below and will complete the year in peace. It is of them that it is written: “The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him and delivereth them: O consider and see that the Lord is good.” (Ps. XXXIV, 8-9).”